Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Research Topic

I plan on becoming a Mechanical and Robotic Engineer. My research question is “how does robotics make our lives easier”. Robotics is in every aspect of our lives. In conjunction with having to know the technical side you also have to be good with people. There are a few different fields to choose from. For example, system design is where you would design new age robotics for specific jobs determined by the customer’s wants and needs of the robot. Another would be human and machine interface which is where engineers must determine how a robot will be controlled. Weather it’ll be self controlled with certain parameters or remote controlled. Manufacturing companies such as Ford use the pick and place robots amongst others in construction of their cars. This makes the production of cars a little more efficient than just using man power. Medical fields need engineers to help design new age prosthetics that move and operate like a real limb. Robotic and Mechanical engineers helped design and construct military systems such as the UAV-unmanned aerial vehicles to spy or take the war to the enemy without putting a soldier’s life in danger. They also designed the bomb disposal machine to disarm bombs. To become these types of engineers you need to be well versed in computer programming, electronics, hydraulics, pneumatics, mechanics, computer aided drafting, and computer aided manufacturing. Robotic and mechanical engineering is an everyday expanding field. There are studies into Artificial Intelligence so robots can learn from human interaction and start thinking for themselves. Studies in how to link the robotic prosthetic to the nervous system are occurring so the amputee would be able to feel certain sensations like pressure and heat with the fake limb. This is just a few of the ways robotic and mechanical engineers affect our lives.

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I would love to be the one to create the prosthetic that helps patients feel more normal and get their life back. That job would be very rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally have no knowledge on this type of career. I liked how you included important information such as the fact that robotic engineers have to be good both with mechanics and with people. The wide range of "activities" this job covers is amazing, therefore I am interested to see what you will narrow your topic down to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not really know much inforamtion about this career. A family memeber of mine is really into this feild. I think your paper will have a lot you can include. Robots are useful in feilds and it should be researched.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeremy, sounds like a very interresting career to get into. I have alot of friend in this field,they really seem to be keeping very busy and havent seemed to slow down work wise in the bad economy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is Wow! What an amazing job, I'm an not at all mechanical so I'm always impressed with someone who is. I like that this is a job you want to do because you want to help people. There should be more people like you.

    ReplyDelete