Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Lost Fatherhood

I was 21 when my son was born on February 23, 2004. I was in Seychelles (little island down by the horn of Africa) when I got the message through Red Cross. I spent three more months at sea before meeting my son for the first time. I'm 27 and my son is 6 and I haven't seen him in five years. My ex-wife disappeared over state lines with him just to hurt me. After searching for her for the past five years she has now came out of hiding to try to collect child support. The courts told me I have to pay all the back due money owed. I don’t feel justice was served here, but I’ll pay rather than lose my freedom. I have been researching child custody and child abduction laws with little success. I had to research laws from three different states, each which says they don't have jurisdiction over the case. Which is kind of confusing that no state has direct reign over the case? I have learned that this exact thing happened to a Michigan Representative. His back due is obviously quite a bit more than mine. He is trying to get some of the state and federal laws changed on support and child custody. Hopefully, he makes some major progress. There are many groups that are activists for fathers who have had this happen to them. They work tirelessly to help the men robbed of their rights to be a father. They help with paying for lawyers and getting visitation for the father. Anyone that this has happened to don’t really get have the joys of fatherhood. They don’t get to hear their child say play with me daddy. It’s a quite painful experience for any man or woman to endure. In personal opinion there should have already been laws in place incase of something like this. I am going to fight for some sort of custody. At the end no matter how it ends I will say Que Sera Sera (what will be will be).

1 comment:

  1. You are absolutely right about the need for laws to manage mothers who selfishly engage in activities like this. They use the child as some kind of leverage and income resulting in hurt fathers as well as fatherless children who didn't need to be fatherless. Now that women have gained the favor of the law, some are choosing to use that favor to behave in the same way men used to behave before strict child support laws came about. Some fathers would walk away without supporting the child and choose to start new families without regard for their child. Now women use the law to punish and control men by not allowing fathers to see their children, yet they collect monetary payments. I can't wait for the laws to catch up to this selfish act.

    ReplyDelete